Philip Gilman, a mining engineer from England, purchased two of the three waterfront lots belonging to Brock House in 1906 and the third in 1909, giving him an estate of two and a half acres with over 300 feet of sandy beach waterfront with a depth of about 350 feet. In 1911 he engaged the noted architect, Samuel Maclure, to design the house, and in March 1912 let go the contract for construction to the firm of Coffin & McLelland. Mr. & Mrs. Gilman and two young sons moved early the following year.
In July 1922 Philip Gilman sold the property to Mildred Brock, wife of Dean Reginald Brock of UBC, and the Gilmans, now with five children, returned to England. The Brocks had five sons, the four younger ones moving in with their parents in August 1922. Mrs. Brock named the house Brockholm – '-holm' meaning low-lying land near water; and for the next thirteen years the Brocks made it a hospitality house for a wide variety of purposes enjoyed by thousands of people from the world over. In July of 1935 Dean and Mrs. Brock were killed in an airplane accident, but three of the sons remained in the house until it was sold in March 1938 to David Tait, another mining engineer.
In 1952, the Taits sold Brock House to the Federal Government and it was occupied by the RCMP, Vancouver Sub-Division Headquarters Staff, until 1971. On May 1, 1975, the property was turned over by the Federal Government to the City of Vancouver as part of the transfer of the Jericho Waterfront Lands. Since 1977 the house and grounds have been leased to Brock House Society from the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation.
Brock House Society, www.brockhousesociety.com, a non-profit organization registered under the British Columbia Societies Act, was founded in 1974 to preserve, restore and administer Brock House as an Activity Centre for Senior Citizens and a restaurant open to the public. Brock House, situated on two and a half acres of waterfront property, contains over twelve rooms including the Conservatory, Meyer, Halpern, Oak, Art, and Begg rooms as well as eight fireplaces and the society and restaurant offices located on the third floor. The Brock House Restaurant, open to the public in the evenings and on the weekends, provides a beautiful waterfront view of downtown Vancouver and the North shore mountains. Over the past 25 years, the restaurant has become known for its delicious food creations and its friendly, attentive service.